Installing Sink Drain
A modern person is so accustomed to communal amenities that sometimes they do not even think about how they work. Many of us begin to be interested in this when the question of repair is brewing. And what to do in such a situation? Each stage of installing a sink drain has nuances, the knowledge of which will protect the drain structure from leaks during operation. So, according to the method of application, there are:
- Sink drains for the bathroom;
- Sink plums for the kitchen.
They may differ in size and material of manufacture, and their purpose is quite different. In the first case, they are an integral part of the bathroom, used for washing hands and washing. In the second case, they are used for washing dishes, cooking, and more.
The general order of installing sink drain looks like this:
- First of all, all the necessary connections to the sink are made;
- Then a siphon is mounted on the drain outlet;
- At the final stage of assembly, the resulting structure is joined to the sewer.
Doesn’t sound so difficult, right? But in reality, everything is much more complicated. When installing, you need to start by shutting off the water. When attaching the drain to the sink, a pipe with a protective grill and a rubber gasket is first mounted, after which it is pressed from below with a nut. The assembly of the siphon begins with the fact that a plastic tightening nut with a conical gasket is put on the drain pipe. After that, the siphon is put on the drain pipe to the desired depth, and then the tightening nut is lowered and tightened by hand. The sink drain system is connected to the sewer in the final stage. To accomplish this, the sewer outlet is joined to the sewer pipe by a nut with a conical gasket. To check the tightness, turn on the water. Make sure there are no leaks by placing a tissue or paper towel under the system.
If you are not ready to do this type of work yourself, contact Superior Plumbing & Heating – we are ready to help you! Each of our plumbers has at least 17 years of experience and is ready to provide quality same-day customer service. We will be happy to perform any plumbing work for you. Our goal is to provide first-class results at affordable prices using cutting-edge tools.
How to assemble a sink drain?
Before starting the assembly, it is important to understand why you need to drain the sink because water can enter directly through the hose into the sewer. Due to the additional element, not only the removal of dirty water occurs – there are other purposes, for example, the retention of large debris, preventing it from entering the sewer, and expulsion of an unpleasant smell from the sewer into the room.
A sink or sink drain consists of a siphon with a water seal (“U”-shaped element) and a drain pipe (made of corrugated or rigid plastic pipe and designed to redirect wastewater to the sewer system).Before carrying out a sink drain assembly, inspect the thread. If there are burrs on it, then they are carefully cut off. Before installation, check all threaded connections, nuts, docking joints, and gaskets. To assemble the device, you will need:
- Put a gasket on the threads of the upper section of the structure;
- Screw the bottom of the siphon;
- Place a rubber seal of the appropriate diameter on the drain pipe and put on 2 tension nuts;
- Insert the drain pipe into the hole at the bottom of the siphon, push it to the desired height and tighten the nut loosely;
- Install a gasket in the cover of the fixture and screw the drain to the body.
The rubber seal is covered with a small amount of sealant. To ensure reliability, the lower area of the plug’s thread, which is screwed into the body, is lubricated with a substance. For the hermetic connection of parts, the winding is used. Before collection, the length of the tube is selected, the height of which is determined by the depth of the shell. The main branch pipe is connected to a tube with clamps. Subsequently, the part is attached to the sink, placing a gasket between the elements.
How to install a kitchen sink drain?
While the process of installing a kitchen drain may not seem very complicated, there are some details without knowing which it is impossible to do it reliably and efficiently. You should start by determining the depth of the drain hole, namely, measure the distance between the trap arm and the bottom of the cabinet. If the drain hole is too deep, the sink will be tilted. After that, you need to install all the components under the sink, such as waste bins and strainers. Then you should attach the drain pipe to the shank:
- Temporarily connect the sewer pipe to the drain hole of the garbage chute, but before that, install the shank;
- Make the necessary cuts with a hacksaw in the pipes where they will enter the tee;
- Install tip, pipe, and tee, making sure all connections are tight. Make sure that the sewer pipe is at a slight downward slope;
- Use pliers to tighten all nuts.
After these, connect the drain tap. It’s done like this:
- Loosely connect the bend and the trap arm with the union nut and washer;
- You need to insert the bend of the trap into the tee and push the lever;
- Next, you need to place the parts of the trap so that the path from the sink to the tee is the shortest;
- Mark and make shorter the trap arm if it is too long;
- Tighten all union nuts with pliers;
- Check that the continuous drain pipe and the siphon arm are tilted slightly downwards in the direction of the water flow;
- Check that the drain connections are tight.
If you are not confident in your abilities, then the best solution is to turn to professionals! Superior Plumbing & Heating knows everything about installing a kitchen sink drain. In our arsenal, we have vast experience and professionalism; we use high-quality materials and modern tools that guarantee reliable repair and installation. Quality plumbing — once and for life!
What are the features of replacing the sink drain pipe in the wall?
If you notice any of these signs, then most likely, there are some problems with the sink drain in the wall. This can be the appearance of a sewer smell (this is a mixture of toxic and non-toxic odours that can often be dangerous to human health), the appearance of mould in the bathroom and kitchen, damage to the walls (with increased humidity, the walls can get wet, fall apart, etc.), the appearance mice, cockroaches, etc. What to do in such a situation? There is only one answer — replace the sink drain pipe in the wall.
There are two solutions to fix a leaky pipe:
- Partial repairs involve cutting drywall, finding the source of the leak, and then replacing the damaged areas. Also, a plumber can seal the place where the leak has appeared;
- A complete replacement is necessary if the plumbers decide that the entire system needs to be replaced, especially if your pipes are old or there is a possibility of future leaks.
But be careful because, as a rule, partial repairs do not solve the whole problem, so this method is possible but will not have 100 percent effect, as is the case with replacing pipe parts. Experienced plumbers will recommend the best solution for you after a detailed analysis of the problem. If your wall has a leaking drain, call Superior Plumbing & Heating! Whatever the problem, our plumbers will get your drain pipes back to normal.
What do you need to know about installing a bathroom sink drain?
After all work with the installation of a sink, faucet, etc., the system must be connected to the sewer. Plums are bottle and pipe, but the first option is most often used for the bathroom. If the sink provides a separate overflow system, then the siphon must be equipped with an additional overflow pipe. Most often, a bottle siphon is used since these are equipped with a water lock system, and you can also connect a water drain from a washing machine to them.
Connection involves several stages:
- The siphon outlet is inserted into the bowl and fixed;
- A corrugated or rigid pipe is mounted to the device at an angle;
- The pipe is inserted into the entrance of the sewer system. Usually, a cuff is used to fasten pipes since the diameter of the sewer pipe is larger than the water pipe;
- Test the system for leaks.
Do not know who to turn to for help in this matter? Or how to install a bathroom sink drain? Then our highly qualified and trained specialists are ready to go to your aid! With over 35 licensed plumbers and 24/7 customer support, we’re quick to resolve your issues – even on weekends and holidays. Superior Plumbing & Heating will do all your kitchen sink plumbing installation or repair work in no time and will service the system regularly to prevent problems in the future.
How is a sink drain repaired?
The most common reason for calling a plumber is for a sink drain repair. The cause may be a blockage caused by hair, dirt, pieces of food, etc. entering the drain, leakage due to long drain life, malfunctions, or improper installation. Be that as it may, to deal with any of these problems, you need the help of a qualified specialist who could determine the cause of the breakdown and quickly fix it.
If a clogged drain causes the breakdown, then there are several ways to solve the problem. When the blockage is caused by hair getting into the drain hole, then the blockage can be cleared without the use of harsh chemicals but with the help of a drainage snake. If the blockage is caused by the accumulation of soap, grease, etc., then you can use special chemicals, after which you need to fill them with plenty of hot water.
If this does not help, then prepare a bucket and rags to collect the liquid, which will inevitably spill when disassembling the siphon. Use a plunger to pump out all the water and wipe dry with a rag. Disassemble the siphon to find out the exact cause of the breakdown. If it is provoked by worn pipes, a crack, etc., then the only solution is to replace the damaged parts with new ones.
The sink is the centrepiece of kitchens and bathrooms and is, unfortunately, prone to breakage drains. A clogged or leaking sink interferes with your household routine and causes major inconvenience when that plumbing fixture is not working properly. Sometimes you may need to not only repair but also replace your entire sink, and the experts at Superior Plumbing & Heating are ready to help you with each of these problems. So you can be completely sure that the work is done professionally and will serve you for many years.