Clogged Sewer Line
The owners are so accustomed to the uninterrupted, trouble-free operation of all engineering systems in an apartment or house that they do not even pay special attention to them. But the situation quickly changes when an unexpected and unpleasant breakdown occurs. One of these incidents is often a clogged sewer. “What to do, how to escape the disaster as soon as possible, who to call if the sewer is clogged?” — those questions arise for everyone without exception. The main thing for owners is to remain calm because all sewer problems are solvable.
If you find you have a clogged sewer line, call Superior Plumbing & Heating as soon as possible. Our highly trained plumbers have all the knowledge, tools, and parts they need and are always ready to go. You can rest easy knowing that our local experts with at least 17 years of experience will handle any issue and provide the highest quality service. As a rule, there are three ways to clear a clogged pipe:
- Hydraulic method. It involves the use of water under pressure, which destroys and pushes out blockages;
- Mechanical way. This is the work of special rodding, bucket machines, and scrapers that clean blockages and free sewer pipes from them;
- Chemical method. This is, as the name suggests, the use of chemicals to clear blockages in pipes. However, this method is one of the most dangerous, as it can harm residents.
We think you know that cleaning sewer pipes is not the easiest and most pleasant thing to do. In such a situation, our specialists are always ready to thoroughly examine the system and, based on the results, choose a sewer cleaning strategy that will ultimately solve your further problems.
What are the ways to unclog the main sewer line?
Blockages are different. Some are easy to get rid of by simply flushing the drain with hot water, and there are cases where dirt plugs become a real problem. There are many ways to get rid of them. If you’re wondering how to unclog the main sewer line, let’s look at ways that could help you:
- Dry and wet vacuum cleaner. If some things are stuck in your sewer line, then in many such cases the method of elimination by force has already helped. This is why wet and dry vacuuming works well. Before starting the procedure, do not forget to close the vent. The advantage of such cleaning is that it is quite fast and efficient and also does not require the cost of plumbers. But there are also disadvantages: for example, if this blockage is provoked by fat or hair, then most likely this method will not help.
- Sodium hydroxide. This is a great way to drain cleaning when clogs are caused by soap residue, hair, and food waste. You just need to mix sodium with water and pour it down the sink, but be extremely careful, as the downside of this method is that the sodium hydroxide can burn your skin. Therefore, the use of gloves and goggles is mandatory.
- Baking soda with salt. These two substances in the mixture give a chemical reaction that will get rid of any blockage. The advantage is that this method is not as aggressive as the previous one, both to pipes and residents. You just need to mix 1 to 2 soda and salt and pour it into the drain, and then pour hot water over it. But you may have to repeat these steps several times because the blockage may not disappear the first time.
- Drain coil. This tool looks like a long piece of thick wire with a spiral cap. It must be pushed into the sewer until it hits a blockage and then hooked onto it. After that, you just need to pull out the blockage and free the pipe. Usually, it turns out to pull it out, or the obstacle can be pushed this way down the pipe.
What to do if a clogged sewer line in the basement is found?
When you are faced with such a nuisance as a clogged sewer line in the basement, the first thing you want to know is what is the cause of this problem. We will try to answer this question. Most often, this happens for several reasons:
- Of course, this may be because there is some kind of obstacle to the proper water flow, such as feminine hygiene items, paper towels, accumulation of fat, etc. And if it rains heavily or storms, this can lead to flooding of the basement;
- The second and no less serious reason may be the banal deterioration of sewer lines. How does this relate to blockages? — you will ask. And here is the answer: Trees and shrubs that are looking for moisture run their roots into these cracks and prevent the passage of sewage, which can cause flooding not only in the basement but in the whole house.
- It can also happen due to improper installation of sewer pipes, lack of proper slope, and incorrect connection of horizontal pipelines.
But if you are faced with this, do not worry; there are options. You can try two cleaning methods: mechanical and chemical. Choosing between these two methods, we want to clarify that during mechanical cleaning, you will work with a cable without the ability to see the process, and in the case of chemical agents, you do not need this. You just pour them in, and they do everything necessary: dissolve the blockage.
Of course, we will not recommend that you use non-certified products — it is better to contact professionals. Superior Plumbing is a trustworthy plumbing company that ensures that clogged sewer line repairs are carried out thoroughly and following all regulations. Give us a call today and get the best plumbing services in your area.
How are sewer lines repaired and replaced?
Sewer pipes can become faulty for many reasons. This may be corrosion that appears if the pipe has been in operation for a long time. It can also be caused by physical damage to the pipe due to roots or repair of asphalt pavement, etc. If you are experiencing such a problem, then you are most likely wondering what actions to take to resolve this problem as soon as possible. There can be two ways out: repair of the sewer line and its replacement. But how do you know what works best for your situation?
Repair is the preferred option when small cracks or holes have formed in your sewer. Gone are the days when plumbers had to dig up half of your yard to fix a pipe. Superior Plumbing performs trenchless pipe repairs, which means no digging is required for the procedure. Also, this procedure will not take much time – no more than a couple of hours, depending on the volume of the problem. It’s done like this: using a video camera as our guidance, we immediately produce an epoxy resin and implant it into the sewage line, after which the resin adheres to the walls of the pipes and fills in the damaged areas.
If the problem is more serious, and the pipe is badly damaged, then it is better to make a complete replacement of the pipe. This is also done with the trenchless method like this: a new flexible is inserted into the damaged one and tears it, replacing it. As a result, you get a completely new and serviceable sewer.
Pipe repair is a time-consuming process that requires the help of professionals. Contact Superior Plumbing for affordable repair services. Our skilled professional plumbers are experts in solving the problem of replacing or repairing sewer lines. Extensive training and top certifications are proof of our professionalism. Using the right tools, we ensure your pipes are as good as new in no time.
How to perform a sewage backup repair?
A sewage backup is one of the most problematic plumbing issues. This can lead to disease, mould growth, damage to your property, and even electrical outages. Let’s take a closer look at how to repair sewage backup quickly and for a long time:
- Start with a plunger. This is the easiest and most affordable method that absolutely everyone can handle. If you have a small blockage, a plunger should help, but this method will not help with severe blockages;
- If it doesn”t help, go to special liquids for cleaning drains, but only if this problem is not in the toilet, because there will most likely be a leak since this method is very aggressive to the wax seal;
- Perhaps the problem is that excessive pressure has formed in the pipes. If this is the case, all you need to do is turn off the water in the main pipeline. This will help the pressure to normalize;
- Another way to clean sewer paths can be chemical cleaning. This is usually effective if the problem is in the roots of the trees. It may be foam that destroys the roots, but for a complete cleaning, it will take some time until they completely disappear. Also, be careful, because this method may not be safe for septic systems, and it is not always possible to use it;
- And the last way can be a way of water jet cleaning. It can help if you have a moderate to severe blockage. The procedure looks like this: the auger is inserted into the pipe and cuts the blockage, and then the water helps to clear the sewer from the roots of trees and other debris;
If all these methods did not help, or you do not know how to perform them, do not despair – call a professional. Contact Superior Plumbing & Heating licensed plumbers immediately, and they will solve your problem quickly and efficiently. Our mission is to satisfy and make happy customers!